Ten things I hope I will be able to teach my son:
- Be kind, always, but with the knowledge of when to walk away
- Cooking – it will do me good to know you can feed yourself on things other than dominoes pizza and kebabs (though let’s face it that’s all you’ll eat for at least 5 years of your life, just like your mamma did!)
- Tidiness – I’m a pig, and I hate it. Teaching the boy that cleaning is fun! Hurray!
- That if you try your best, you don’t have to feel bad if you don’t succeed. It’s not the worst thing in the world to lose sometimes.
- To be a feminist. Sorry son, but you’re in for some lectures when I hear you say “but that’s for girls“
- That you don’t aspire to be happy, it happens when you learn to appreciate the small stuff. Friends, a loving family – all the little things that don’t cost you anything if you do it right
- To love books – this is going to be hard as he’d much rather be jumping on the bed than reading in it but I will persist!
- To look after his teeth (dentists are the minions of Satan, but obviously I won’t tell him that)
- To expand his horizons – look up, look about, look around. The world is amazing and you can learn every day just by noticing.
- To never stop asking questions, about anything and everything. A thirst for knowledge is a thirst for life.
What do you hope your children will learn from you?